Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Angela Johnson

I was never one for marriage. I believed that marriage was a waste of time, money and energy. I felt that if you wanted to be with someone, then be with them. Why do you have to spend money and argue over stupid things like colors or who should come just to tell the world that you are with this person. After college, I watched each of my friends get married. I had so many dresses but they were my friends. I wanted to be there for them regardless of whether or not I thought the ceremony was unnecessary. Besides me, I had one friend left to joke with about not being married. All of us went partying one night and Janice meet Bruce. Bruce was a cool cat with no job but cute as hell. The two danced all night and woke up together the next morning next to the pool of the beach house we used every year. Six months later and countless tales of public sex, the two were to be wed. I was part of a dying breed. I was going to be the odd man out for now on. If we going skating and there is a call for couple skating, you will see me on the inner part of the circle skating with six years who even have someone to skate with. But for the last time, I will put on the dress, walk down the aisle with a smile; wish my friend all the luck in the world.
Janice’s wedding changed my life forever. Her wedding changed my ideals, changed the way I looked at the world and the people in it. My original escort for the wedding suddenly got sick so Janice replaced him with Brice. Brice was a fine specimen of a man standing at 6ft even, nicely built and the smoothest skin I’ve seen on a brother in a long time. During the ceremony, we allowed our eyes to do what our lips couldn’t. As the guest and my friends enjoyed the reception, Brice said the right things and made all the right moves. By the time I got to my car to leave, he had successfully retrieved my number and a scheduled date.
Time past and the journey of liking someone suddenly became the journey of loving someone. If you had asked me a year before if I believed in love, I would have told you love was for suckers. When Brice asked me to marry him, I didn’t hesitate like I had envisioned. I figured being asked would never be an issue because the person I was going to be with would understand that marriage was not something I was interested in. Once he asked, I figured why the hell not? What else am I going to be doing? We went through the necessary planning and the day went according to plan. I rush through details because this is not where my tale begins, it’s where it ends.
After two years of marriage, things began to change. Every little thing became an issue. We both traveled a lot because of work but we were aware of one another’s occupation before we got together. Our morning encounters went from quickies in the kitchen to texts messages from the car. By the time either one of us got home, we had grab take out for ourselves. The very things that I predicted for the marriages of my friends were happening to me. Us not being ones to submit to failing, we agreed to marriage counseling. Any form of therapy is a useless thing to participate in. I am paying someone to tell me what I already knew.
I would say after the third session there was a change. We felt the passion that left our marriage again. There was conversation again. There was intimacy again. Things made since again.
One morning Brice woke up early to fix me breakfast in bed. He had to leave for Maine that morning. This was going to be the first of several trips so that he could finalized a merger. I kissed him goodbye and watched him leave. When it was time for him to go to Maine, we went through the same routine. He would come home, tell me how much he loved me over and over again. Life was good.
Several months later, on one of the mornings Brice was to leave, I received a phone. The caller was male asking who resided at this number. I told him none of his business and hung up the phone. Brice walked in and asked who was on the phone. I told him wrong number and kissed him goodbye.
You ever watch a movie and yell at the people in the movie what to do next? I felt like a voice was telling me to figure out what the call was about. Another voice was telling me to stop reading so much into the call. I went to the phone and searched caller id for the number. I stared at the number for about 15 minutes and finally pressed the dial button. The same voice answered the phone. I paused as he said hello. I cleared my throat and told him that he called the house earlier that morning. I heard him sigh. He sounded so certain to figure out who we were but now he sounds as if he didn’t know what to say. “I apologize for being so rude earlier. I was a little upset.” he replied. “That is all fine and well but what is it that you want,” I asked as stern as I possibly could. He explained that he found the number on the floor of his bedroom with a name written on the top. I swallowed hard and asked what the name was. He confirmed that the name was Brice. There was no way to tell myself he was lying. He had no reason to call me out of the blue and lie about finding my number on the floor of his bedroom. We talked for about and hour and a half. I guess there was a lot for us to talk about considering our spouses were sleeping together. I gained a friend that day one that would be able to trust more than any.
Both Brice and Alex’s wife Adrienne would be gone for two weeks. Every night that went by, Alex and I talked. We talked about everything from how we met our spouse to the current episodes of Hero. We made one another laugh during a time we should have be crying, during a time when were suppose ask what happened. There is not real explanation for the bond that we created. Little did I know that we both had a similar idea but were too afraid to voice it. Perhaps in due time we would come up with enough courage to talk about it.
We had two days before our spouses were to come home and Alex came up with a plan. He suggested that we catch a flight together and surprise our spouses. To be honest with you, I was more nervous to meet Alex then to confront Brice. I had often dreamed of what Alex look like, what he would wear when we met and I often had pleasant thoughts of him as well. I told him that was a great idea. We both agreed to catch the last flight of the night which left us an hour to pack. Before he hung up the phone, he asked me what I would be wearing. I told him a fitted long sleeve white shirt with dark blue jeans. I started to ask him what he would be wearing but he cut me off and told me that he would find me. I told him to tell me something so I would know. He told me he would be wearing Ralph Lauren cologne. I hung up the phone and pack my things.
I took a cab to the airport, walked in and, brought my airline ticket. I tried not to look anxious but I couldn’t help. I heard them call my flight. The flight attendant smiled as she took my ticket. I walked on the plane and scanned every face trying to figure out which one was Alex. For a second , I made myself laugh. I thought to myself what if Alex was girl. What if Alex was serial killer with this elaborate plan to kidnap and kill his victims. As I placed my bag above my sit, a voice offered to help me. Before I turned to respond , I inhaled and smelt the cologne. I saw his hands reach up to mine and push my bags in the cabinet. I felt like everything was moving in slow motion. I exhaled and turn to face him. An immediate smile graced my face. He had beautiful brown eyes. He blinked and smiled back. We took our seats next to one another and buckled our seat belts. We sat in silence for awhile. Talking on the phone was easy. Being face to face was kind of weird.
About 20 minutes after take off, Alex spoke. “I’m going to order a drink would you like one? I turned and nodded. He asked me what kind but I told him to surprise me. After ordering, he turned to me and stated that I was a lot taller than he imagined but I looked exactly how he pictured me. I told him that I could never put a face to the body. “Oh god so what was I then?, he asked. “A blur.” I answered. We laughed and dialogue became a little easier as the flight progressed. We both agreed that we would leave the plane and airport at different times so people wouldn’t assume we were together.
Once the plane landed, we departed according to plan. We exchanged cell numbers so we could update one another. I went to the far left of the airport to wait on Alex’s flight to arrive. A little over an hour pasted and Alex came exiting the terminal. I stood there with a sign bearing his name. He stopped for second with sort of a guilty look on his face. He gathered himself and walked towards me. “Surprised.” I yelled. “ You’re right a surprise.” he replied. “ I figured we could spend the day in D.C. and return home the next day. I had a few days off and was getting bored around the house so I figured I would surprise you. Alex stuttered a little as he agreed that the idea was a good one. We flagged down a cab and headed to a hotel about seven miles from the airport.
As we checked in and made our way to the room, not much was said. I looked at the desk clerk and noticed that he looked puzzled. I looked at Alex to see if he noticed. He said he was tired and wanted to sleep a little. Once he rested he said he would take me out on the town. I let him sleep while I went the spa . I texted Alex what hotel we were staying in. He quickly texted me back saying that they had just checked in. Funny how our spouses brought us to their meeting spot. Alex sent me another text saying that Adrienne had given him the same excuse about being tired so he said he would meet me in the spa.
While I was getting a back massage, I felt the size of the hands change. I immediately knew who the hands belonged to. I turned over and smiled. I honestly don’t think I could keep a frown with this man. He helped me up and we went to the mud pool. We sat and talked about how long should we let our spouse think we don’t know. But we really didn’t want to talk about them so we changed the subject and enjoyed the mud pool.
Soon we showered off and went to wake of spouses. By the time I went to open my room door, Brice was dressed. He said that he felt better and was ready to go eat. He gave me a few to get dressed and escorted me to the restaurant in the hotel lobby. Brice was always a gentleman, he always knew what to say and what to do. We sat down and Brice ordered the most expense wine on the menu. I asked him what the occasion was. “I can’t treat my wife to a romantic evening just because.” he asked. I forced a smile on my face and turned to face the front door. Alex walks in with Adrienne. She is pretty. She doesn’t look better than me but I see the appeal. The two of them walked past. I made no eye contact with Alex and vice versa. Brice couldn’t help but look and Adrienne returned the same worried glance. Guilt has a way of making you lose control of some the most basic motor functions. The both of us had a some what pleasant evening with our spouses. Before we left the restaurant, Brice had to go to restroom so I waited in the lobby. I text Alex to see how things were going. He text back saying that Adrienne was in the bathroom. All of sudden I became enraged. I got mad when I first saw walk past but I became pissed just thinking about them two secretly meeting in the bathroom. I got up to walk back in the restaurant to catch them when Brice came walking out. He asked me what was wrong. I told him nothing and we returned to the room.
I couldn’t sleep. Life was okay when Brice wasn’t in my presence. I was okay being upset without seeing him. I knew once I saw him, I wouldn’t be able to control myself, that I might act a fool once I saw him. I went on the balcony and called Alex. Lucky, he couldn’t sleep either. He was feeling the same rage I was. We had both been fooled into believing we were our spouse’s one and only. What were we suppose to do next?
The next morning, I woke up with an attitude. Brice was getting mad because he couldn’t figure out what was wrong with me. I wanted him to walk around not knowing for once. The two of entered the elevator and took it to the lobby. He kept asking what was wrong. I told him I was fine and to drop it. We both walked to the desk to check out. As he was signing the receipt, Alex and his wife walked up. Everyone spoke to be polite, watching one another’s behavior as if they knew a secret. As I grabbed my bad to leave, Alex winked at me. I returned the gesture with a smile and the that was the last time I saw him.

One month later

The room was cool when they awoke in one another’s arms in the middle of the dark. Adrienne sat up and went to cut the lamp on. A spark came from the light and hit the floor. The room quickly became engulfed in flames. The two jumped out of the bed and tried to get out but the door was jammed. As they screamed for help both couldn’t help but think to themselves, I wouldn’t have been in this predicament if I was home with my spouse.

Six Months Later

The room was cool when they awoke in one another’s arms in the middle of the dark. I turn to Alex only to smile. He looked to me and whispered in my ear,” No regrets.”


You are probably wondering what happened. Remember how I said that marriage was a waste of time, money, and energy. Well, I lied. If you put in the time, money and energy, the results are plentiful. One night, during our daily conversations, Alex and I came up with a plan to make sure we got the better end of the deal. I would discuss what was done but then I would just be incriminating myself, now wouldn’t I?
The two were sent to the hospital for observation and contacted Alex and I because were written down as emergency contact. The two of us took the same flight we took a month before and headed to the hospital in separate cabs. The police told us that our spouse was in a room with someone else at the time of the fire. They assumed they were married but realized they had checked into the hotel separately. Because our spouses affair we received all of their assests according to the clauses set in our marriage contract . All in all, marriage gave me everything I ever wanted and then some. So I am glad to say I was wrong, everybody should get married.

No comments: